Vanilla Almond Angel Cake with Fresh Berries & Cream
It was a friends birthday and I was in charge (ok, I insisted) of the cake. I have two favorite cakes, carrot cake and angel food cake. Since it is the end of summer and the strawberries are plump and plentiful.
Note: the eggs need to be at room temperature to get the whites fluffy during whipping. Also do not get any yolk in the mix or the cake will not rise. If you do get yolk in the mix... sorry honey but you have to toss it and start over.what t you'll nee
1c cake flour
12 egg whites, room temperature
3/4c unrefined sugar, finely ground in the food processor
2tbs unrefined raw sugar, finely ground with food processor
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 1/2tsp vanilla extract
1/2tsp almond extract
2 cups whipping cream
1/2 or so of confection sugar
1 vanilla bean, with the seeds scrapped out
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Sift the flour and the sugar and set aside.
3. Combine egg whites, salt & cream of tartar in electric mixer (this is a must unless you have super human strength) and beat until peaks form. This takes about 20-30 min. With the mixer still going on low, mix in the extracts.
4. In batches, slowly start to mix in the flour mixer. Make sure each batch is completely mixed in before you pour the next to avoid lumps.
6. Pour mixture into an un-greased angel food cake pan. I would recommend one that comes in two parts so it is easier to clean.
7. Place in the oven for about 40 minutes. If you have a hot oven maybe check on it at 30. To make sure it is cooked all the way through poke the middle with a knife, if it comes out clean, your good to go!
8. In the meantime, add the 2 cups of whipping cream to mixer along with the beans from the vanilla bean. To extract the seeds, split open the bean, and scrap the beans out with the edge of a knife, a little goes a long way.
9. Mix at medium speed and gradually add the confection sugar. I add just about 1/2 cup or less. I love that creamy taste.
10. Once the cake is fully cooked place it on a cake stand and cream the cake generously topping with chopped strawberries (or any fruit you fancy) and serve! yum.